How to Choose a Realtor
Here are several points to consider when looking for a professional/reliable Realtor:
- Obtain recommendations from friends and business associates;
- Check the reputation of the brokerage firm;
- Go to several open houses and build a rapport with the agents, then choose the one you think is best for your needs;
- Look for an agent who is familiar with the area you want to live in;
- Review ads in your local newspaper;
- Note the "For Sale" signs and jot down the key information as you drive through prospective neighbourhoods;
- Make sure the Realtor you choose is someone you feel comfortable with - someone who listens to your needs and is genuinely interested in helping you find the right home;
- Verify the Realtor's track record, e.g. how long has he/she been in business; what do previous customers think about his/her performance;
- Verify the Realtor's knowledge about the housing market and financing options;
- Ask the Realtor bluntly what he/she will do for you;
- Ask for references from buyers for whom the Realtor previously worked.
The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos identify professional services rendered by REALTOR® members of CREA to effect the purchase, sale and lease of real estate as part of a cooperative selling system. The trademarks REALTOR®, REALTORS® and the REALTOR® logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are members of CREA.